These are instructions on how to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n for Mac OS X. Once you have completed this tutorial you will be able to unlock your iPhone 3GS using this tutorial.
This is a preliminary jailbreak and thus some apps such as Winterboard will not work. You may want to consider waiting for the jailbreak release from the iPhone Dev-Team if this is important to you.
You can find a Windows version of this tutorial here.
Open your web browser of choice and navigate to http://www.purplera1n.com. Click the Apple logo at the bottom of the screen.
When prompted save the download to your desktop
Double click the purplera1n archive to extract the application. Then double click the purplera1n application file from the desktop to launch the program
Click the large make it ra1n button
You iPhone will now be placed in recovery mode. You will see a picture of GeoHot that replaces the regular recovery mode screen on your device.
purplera1n will run and then your device will reboot.
Once your device reboots you will see a new icon on the SpringBoard entitled Freeze. Press it to continue.
Once Freeze opens tap Install Cydia.
Once the Cydia installation has completed you must reboot your iPhone.
When you iPhone has rebooted you can run Cydia. Let it do all the necessary updates then follow our Unlock tutorial to finally unlock your iPhone 3GS.
NOTE*: To remove the Freeze icon from your desktop you can install CyDelete from Cydia then use it to delete the application.
You might also like:
- GeoHot Releases His Own iPhone 3GS Unlock
- Unlock the iPhone 3GS Using PurpleSn0w
- Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PurpleRa1n (Windows Version)
- How to Find the Firmware and Baseband Version of Your iPhone
- Unlock the iPhone 3G, 3GS Using UltraSn0w
- Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Mac Version)
- Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows Version)